patch and tubes

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Mrs.Charlie

Question?
I have a Bobcat S150. I bought new Rubber Over the Tire Tracks for it.
In my inexperience, I rolled the front tires off the rims 3x. Left side once, right side twice. As a result, both front tires started having a slow leak (the right more than the left) so I had to top them up prior to each usage.
If someone drove it like that for 2 yrs, just topping up the air, without taking them in to be properly seated and sealed, could that cause a hole in the tire requiring a patch and needing tubes in both??
The hole that needed a patch was on the top edge of the tire, natural bend of the tire nearest to the outside, not the sidewall.

foton

the leak where you describe should be a tube for repair if the tires are in other wise good shape. I assume that the leak is not a round puncture that could be plugged. It is more like a crack from rolling on the rim. the down side with a tube is if you pick up a nail the tire will have to be removed for repair.

mrbb

just a thought but if you have a tire dealer that sells a bunch of skid steer tires, why not ask if they have any older ones that hold air? and have them install them, as running tracks you do need great thread on the tires and will save you any down time and hassle of having to keep airing the tires up , or worse if someone forgets and runs the tire off the wheel, then throws a track or worse damages a track when it happens
a little down time to fix tires can save big $$ down the road!

OP
OP
M

Mrs.Charlie

just a thought but if you have a tire dealer that sells a bunch of skid steer tires, why not ask if they have any older ones that hold air? and have them install them, as running tracks you do need great thread on the tires and will save you any down time and hassle of having to keep airing the tires up , or worse if someone forgets and runs the tire off the wheel, then throws a track or worse damages a track when it happens
a little down time to fix tires can save big $$ down the road!
The tires have plenty of treads on them and the tracks work great!

OP
OP
M

Mrs.Charlie

the leak where you describe should be a tube for repair if the tires are in other wise good shape. I assume that the leak is not a round puncture that could be plugged. It is more like a crack from rolling on the rim. the down side with a tube is if you pick up a nail the tire will have to be removed for repair.
It was patched inside, they called it a 'boot' but to me, it looked like a patch about 3" x 2" right on the bend of the tire edge. I saw it when I took it to a professional tire place as I had to replace the tube when the first tube wasn't installed properly and was folded over and tore where it was pinched between the rim and tire.
The tires are in excellent shape with plenty of tread on them.
When the tire rolled off the rim, it was put back on immediately. I was just inexperienced and tried to move sideways without moving forward or back, as I wasn't aware I couldn't do that anymore with the tracks on. My husband died, so I have nobody here to teach me. The skidsteer only had 1500 hrs on it at that point, practically brand new.

MATTYZ426F

Question?
I have a Bobcat S150. I bought new Rubber Over the Tire Tracks for it.
In my inexperience, I rolled the front tires off the rims 3x. Left side once, right side twice. As a result, both front tires started having a slow leak (the right more than the left) so I had to top them up prior to each usage.
If someone drove it like that for 2 yrs, just topping up the air, without taking them in to be properly seated and sealed, could that cause a hole in the tire requiring a patch and needing tubes in both??
The hole that needed a patch was on the top edge of the tire, natural bend of the tire nearest to the outside, not the sidewall.
A ratchet strap, air compressor and starting fluid will help you set the bead the next time you run it off the rim.
Check the tires before running it to see if they need air.
What the other guy said about used tires would work.

[email protected]

If this is a thing that you plan to use tracks on it all that time maybe think about Foam filled tires? We use to do this for our forklifts and now the sell them airless but must be expensive. Have not checked into that lately.

OP
OP
M

Mrs.Charlie

My real question was only if someone driving it like that without the tires popped out to the rim properly to seal for 2 yrs would cause the crack or break in the tire at the top inner corner?

OP
OP
M

Mrs.Charlie

If this is a thing that you plan to use tracks on it all that time maybe think about Foam filled tires? We use to do this for our forklifts and now the sell them airless but must be expensive. Have not checked into that lately.
I need the tracks to walk over the manure pile without sinking. I need tires for cleaning out the cement floored barn as there are many instances where you have no choice but to move sideways without having the room to also advance forward or in reverse. In winter when it might be sloppy, I would likely opt for the tracks for snow clearing and walking through slushy conditions in the cement paddocks to get round bales to the sheep and calves.

mrbb

The tires have plenty of treads on them and the tracks work great!
I wasn't implying your thread was a issue, what I was trying to tell you ism, your current two tires have damage/issues
they slow leak on you based on what I read you posted
and as such, when they get low in air, there more liable to come off the rim/wheel on you, and thus can throw your track on you or worse, damage machine and or tire, wheel, or tracks

which can then lead to costly repairs and down time

you do NOT very GOOD deep threads to run over the tire tracks
so my POINT was if you could find a tire shop near you that someone BOUGHT new tires and there old ones were AIR tight and with SOME Thread left, maybe NO where near as much thread as your's, and you had them install them on your wheels where you have BAD tires that leak air!
and or also, ask if the tire shop can FIX the tire correctly(then maybe can just re use them if they can fix)
if there is a large enough crack, or tear in a side wall, it can NOT be fixed, even adding a tube may NOT work, as it can get caught in the side wall crack as tire flexes going over objects, and damaging the tube(if you were NOT running over the tire tracks, you COULD get the tires foam filled, to save them, MAYBE pending how bad the damage area is that is)
But you should NOT use foam filled or solid tires with over the tire tracks, as they can cause damage to your drive train, not having GIVE in them!(run flats with flex i THINK are OK however, but thats a different topic)
But large cracks or OLD tires, with crack,s them cracks will ONLY keep getting worse as the tires keeps flexing , so some times they cannot be repaired!

BUT if you could just get two USED tires (many times they can be had FREE from tire shops, or cheap)
as the tires only really need to hold air, and they would work FINE with your over the tire tracks, and prevent any future issues with having to keep adding air, or worse forgetting or not adding air in time and then again having a tire come off wheel, or throwing your track, or damaging things
deep threads are not needed when using over the tire tracks, tension and down force weight is more what drives them that threads on the tire!
Hope this maybe clears things up better for you

reaperman

When we used the over tire tracks, we had the tires filled with foam because of all of the flat tires associated with tracks. Our issue was the sidewalls would get worn from gravel constantly rubbing between the sidewalls and the outer edge of the track. Foam tires will never spring a leak but they are crazy heavy and ride super rough because they are rock hard

mrbb

When we used the over tire tracks, we had the tires filled with foam because of all of the flat tires associated with tracks. Our issue was the sidewalls would get worn from gravel constantly rubbing between the sidewalls and the outer edge of the track. Foam tires will never spring a leak but they are crazy heavy and ride super rough because they are rock hard
there is also a danger of using foam filled tires with over the tire tracks, as they don't flex and have give like air filled tires, and that lack of flex/give can cause excessive stress on drive train parts and break things causing costly repairs, this is why its NOT recommended to use filled tires with OTT tracks!
yes some folks do and NEVER have issues, but its not advice to do so!
no bash meant here either, just stating info

OP
OP
M

Mrs.Charlie

I wasn't implying your thread was a issue, what I was trying to tell you ism, your current two tires have damage/issues
they slow leak on you based on what I read you posted
and as such, when they get low in air, there more liable to come off the rim/wheel on you, and thus can throw your track on you or worse, damage machine and or tire, wheel, or tracks

which can then lead to costly repairs and down time

you do NOT very GOOD deep threads to run over the tire tracks
so my POINT was if you could find a tire shop near you that someone BOUGHT new tires and there old ones were AIR tight and with SOME Thread left, maybe NO where near as much thread as your's, and you had them install them on your wheels where you have BAD tires that leak air!
and or also, ask if the tire shop can FIX the tire correctly(then maybe can just re use them if they can fix)
if there is a large enough crack, or tear in a side wall, it can NOT be fixed, even adding a tube may NOT work, as it can get caught in the side wall crack as tire flexes going over objects, and damaging the tube(if you were NOT running over the tire tracks, you COULD get the tires foam filled, to save them, MAYBE pending how bad the damage area is that is)
But you should NOT use foam filled or solid tires with over the tire tracks, as they can cause damage to your drive train, not having GIVE in them!(run flats with flex i THINK are OK however, but thats a different topic)
But large cracks or OLD tires, with crack,s them cracks will ONLY keep getting worse as the tires keeps flexing , so some times they cannot be repaired!

BUT if you could just get two USED tires (many times they can be had FREE from tire shops, or cheap)
as the tires only really need to hold air, and they would work FINE with your over the tire tracks, and prevent any future issues with having to keep adding air, or worse forgetting or not adding air in time and then again having a tire come off wheel, or throwing your track, or damaging things
deep threads are not needed when using over the tire tracks, tension and down force weight is more what drives them that threads on the tire!
Hope this maybe clears things up better for you
I'm confused. Your first post says I need good treads on the tires for the tracks, yet this post says the opposite.
I no longer need to top up the tires with air as they now have new tubes in them. And the right tire also has a patch, so the tube could not get caught in the injured area.
But I will continue to due my due diligence and check the air levels before each use, to identify any future problems.

OP
OP
M

Mrs.Charlie

what ever you do ,do not run the tracks to tight ,make sure you have the proper slack or very expensive repairs will follow.
When the tracks are on, there is some slack. I followed the installation video they sent me to the letter when I got them. They sent several different sized sections to make the joint with and I used the appropriate one.

mrbb

I'm confused. Your first post says I need good treads on the tires for the tracks, yet this post says the opposite.
I no longer need to top up the tires with air as they now have new tubes in them. And the right tire also has a patch, so the tube could not get caught in the injured area.
But I will continue to due my due diligence and check the air levels before each use, to identify any future problems.
I am sorry, that was a typo error on my part in the first post I made, was supposed to say DON"T need good thread!
SO< I am sorry I didn't catch myself typing that, and causing you any mis leading info!

as again over the tire tracks work with down force from weight of machine(plus tension on tires more than relying on the thread on the tire to drive things!
so lots of thread on the tire is not needed!

foton

if you followed the instructions ,you are good .a friend of mines bobcat s185 did not follow instructions and broke axles chains bearings bad bad bad.

OP
OP
M

Mrs.Charlie

Thanks, still good to know. This is a learning curve for me. I really appreciate all the info from everyone.

laurencen

I have 205 with a axle tube ripped out from tracks, hoping to strip it down and reweld the tube back some day