water in fuel tank

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

bret2973

Good Day to all..

long story short My skid steer did not run all winter and had water in fuel tank...more than it should.... I got it started and it ran for about 1-2 min then shut off... I tried to crank it a few times and nothing.... I finally took the fuel line off and that is where I found I had water in the line and tank.... I just empty the fuel tank out and bought a new fuel filter..... is there anything else I need to do to check for water anywhere? or can I add new fuel and try to start agin

thanks in advance

foton

well it would help if we knew gas or diesel, brand type of engine ,manf. of machine, need more info. to give better answer.

foton

if all your problem is fuel quality issues(water) . the whole fuel system needs to be purged to the injectors. hopefully your machine has got some years on it as the new ones water is very hard on the injectors. maybe a additional water fuel seperator can be added till you get all the water worked out. purge filters often.

OP
OP
B

bret2973

if all your problem is fuel quality issues(water) . the whole fuel system needs to be purged to the injectors. hopefully your machine has got some years on it as the new ones water is very hard on the injectors. maybe a additional water fuel seperator can be added till you get all the water worked out. purge filters often.
It sucked up some water... It is an older machine 1990... Very simple to work on just do not know what to take off and clean out or check to see if water is inside

foton

water is heavier than diesel, I would use a drill powered pump and empty the bottom of the tank as best as you can , pump it into a white bucket and let it sit for a min. and see if you can see the water seperate from the diesel, that will give you a idea of how much contaminated it is. you might need to put a weight on the suction hose to get it to the bottom of the tank,alot of those hoses want to curl off the bottom. good luck. just as a idea you could use a portable gravity fuel tank like a boat would use and try to purge the fuel system with fresh fuel to get it to run if need be.

haymaker

water is heavier than diesel, I would use a drill powered pump and empty the bottom of the tank as best as you can , pump it into a white bucket and let it sit for a min. and see if you can see the water seperate from the diesel, that will give you a idea of how much contaminated it is. you might need to put a weight on the suction hose to get it to the bottom of the tank,alot of those hoses want to curl off the bottom. good luck. just as a idea you could use a portable gravity fuel tank like a boat would use and try to purge the fuel system with fresh fuel to get it to run if need be.
Agreed, any time you have a fuel quality issue it is nice to use what you know is clean quality fuel to get the machine running and the fuel system back to a clean state.
Most times, especially with an older machine, the gravity feed tank is a simple effective solution.