763 getting stuck in guage/instrument prove out

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Jim_B

Hi. I was wondering if anybody has ran into this before and could point me in the right direction.
My 763 is around 2002/04 time period. It's a G series. When I turn the key on, the tone sounds and doesn't stop, all lights on both panels light up, then continue to flicker quickly. It doesn't matter where I move the key to at that point, start, run, off - it just continues until I unhook the battery cable. Then it stays quiet until I move the key to on and it starts again.
This has been going on for a week. Now today if I turn the key on, it doesn't flicker the lights, they just stay on and if I turn the key off, it will shut the tone and lights off after a few minutes on its own. Battery voltage shows 12.5 volts.
Any ideas what to check? I hate to take it somewhere if it's something I can figure out.
Thanks.
Jim

brdgbldr

Hi. I was wondering if anybody has ran into this before and could point me in the right direction.
My 763 is around 2002/04 time period. It's a G series. When I turn the key on, the tone sounds and doesn't stop, all lights on both panels light up, then continue to flicker quickly. It doesn't matter where I move the key to at that point, start, run, off - it just continues until I unhook the battery cable. Then it stays quiet until I move the key to on and it starts again.
This has been going on for a week. Now today if I turn the key on, it doesn't flicker the lights, they just stay on and if I turn the key off, it will shut the tone and lights off after a few minutes on its own. Battery voltage shows 12.5 volts.
Any ideas what to check? I hate to take it somewhere if it's something I can figure out.
Thanks.
Jim
You may want to change your keyed ignition. It could just be worn out causing shorts.

I have changed several ignitions over the years. They are normally pretty cheap and easy to replace.

If that doesn't work, check all of your electrical connections. Clean and tighten battery cables, grounding points, fuses, etc.

Then start cleaning all of your wire harness connections and check for any rub throughs. Blow out the connections and clean them with a contact cleaner.

OP
OP
J

Jim_B

You may want to change your keyed ignition. It could just be worn out causing shorts.

I have changed several ignitions over the years. They are normally pretty cheap and easy to replace.

If that doesn't work, check all of your electrical connections. Clean and tighten battery cables, grounding points, fuses, etc.

Then start cleaning all of your wire harness connections and check for any rub throughs. Blow out the connections and clean them with a contact cleaner.
Thanks, I will try the switch. I had already cleaned cables and terminals at the battery. I haven't had the cab up yet to check connections in there but I did check and the volt drop from the engine block to the ground terminal is less than .1v when the key is on and its all lit up, not sure about any other locations.