940 Mustang fan making hole in radiator

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Aussieskids

Hi
My Mustang 940 fan has created a half-moon indentation in the radiator at the lower end . It now has a small hole i have had to remove it for repair . The water pump shaft is not flogged out and the radiator was well fitted could it be the engine mountings moving? interested if anyone has had the same problem ?

foton

well something is moving either the engine or the radiator mounting hardware. might want to look at the fan and see if it has a cracked blade letting it twist into the radiator which I doubt but I guess could happen. and make sure all the blades have edge laying flat on a flat surface. if you get what I am trying to get at.

Firefighter

The radiator has slotted mounting holes, make sure it is back a way from the fan as far as possible, adjust it so the rear door does not contact the radiator when closed, also there is a spacer in front of the fan blades on the water pump, i have removed them in the past. the fan runs pretty close to begin with, check that none of the engine mounts are broken

mrbb

any chance someone along the yrs used an after market radiator that isn't exactly the right size? I know many try to not buy OEM due to added costs and look to the aftermarket world, where things don't always be spot on!

mikelv

Check if the fan mounting flange is walking off of the shaft. Had that happen to me and it left the exact same type of damage to my radiator. On inspection it felt tight, but the shaft was no longer protruding through the flange as far as it had been. This can only be seen after you remove the fan and spacer. Shaft should protrude through the flange about 1/8" to locate the spacer.