743 bobcat with chevy altenator

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Hello, I have a old 743 that the previous owner rigged up with a chevy alternator. It's worked great for years but the mounts recently came loose and snapped the casing off the alternator. I ran to lordco and got the exact same one (213-4523D) I wires it up the same as the old one (or so I thought) and it isn't charging. It's got one wire going to the battery and then just one other wire going to 1 of the 4 terminals and goes to the little light that is in the engine bay. I assume this was a way to get a "ignition wire" signal or is this something else? Any help would be appreciated.

laurencen

simple to wire up the old Chevy alternator, the large stud to battery, pin 2 to battery or loop to large stud and pin 1 add a small bult then to ignition power when running, the bulb when key is turned will light up as it shorts to ground but once running bulb will go out

see diagram

Attachments

• altenator.jpg
    altenator.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 14
OP
OP
B
simple to wire up the old Chevy alternator, the large stud to battery, pin 2 to battery or loop to large stud and pin 1 add a small bult then to ignition power when running, the bulb when key is turned will light up as it shorts to ground but once running bulb will go out

see diagram
Thanks for the info! The alternator that I have has 4 pins not 2 like in your picture. It's currently hooked up to the "s" pin and then goes to that engine bay light. I don't believe the light was turning on at all, if that light does not come on would that mean it won't charge the battery? I know the bulb itself is good but maybe there's a bad ground on it.

laurencen

here is a 4 wire made simple, S should go to the 12 volt supply with large wire off alternator, L should go thro bulb to ignition switch

Attachments

• altenator 4 wire.jpg
    altenator 4 wire.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 11