440 Case with Slobber / Wetstacking

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

BeenLookin

IMG_6170.jpeg
IMG_6172.jpeg
IMG_6173.jpeg
Hello gents, this is regarding a different Case 440 machine from my other post. I have been reading up on wetstacking/slobbering on diesel engines and the various causes.

I am looking at a Case 440 skid to buy. NOT the same Case 440 from an earlier post with corrosion. This is a different one!

This machine has under 1,000 hours. I noticed it had shiny "slobber" at the exhaust that is dry to the touch but was obviously wet at one point. Owner said machine wasn't worked all that much and was probably due to idling.

Previously, when engine was cold it would smoke a lot until it warmed up. Owner took machine to Case dealer and it was found that the coolant temperature switch was bad which affected the cold start advance. Once the temp switch was replaced, no more smoke. I was shown the Case Dealer receipt stating this.

Any future costly repairs I should be worried about regarding the prior slobber and smoke or does the machine just need a good hard workout to burn all the crud out of the exhaust? Is there a way to tell if carbon has built up on the cylinders, damage to turbo, etc? I am a novice at this so my skills are limited to just checking basic things without the advantage of having special tools or taking things apart. Thank you.

Gearclash

I've never seen wet stacking do serious damage to an engine. I suppose if it went on for thousands of hours the rings/pistons/cylinders would suffer.

foton

do you know if the engine comes up to full operating tempature? should be around 180 F . ?

Topper1

Idling cold without advance would definitely glaze the tailpipe.. if it wasn't a heavily worked machine, it would have been smoking for a lot of the time on light start/stop jobs.
If i bought it, I'd put it on a hard 8 hr day to max temps and free up any carbon deposits.
The 400 series were all tough machines with very durable engines. With under1000 hrs, I'd bite, Run it hard for a couple days, do a couple extra oil changes just because along the way.