rear view mirror genius idea

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

marko13

in case no one else is smart enough to figure out how to do this I wanted to share this genius idea of bolting a rear view mirror to the cage of a bobcat.
I would do a YouTube video to show how to do it and the results of it but I think it's pretty obvious from these pictures LOL.
20240426_215654.jpg
20240426_215709.jpg
20240503_142821_HDR.jpg
20240503_143357_HDR.jpg

before and after lifting the arms LOL

brdgbldr

in case no one else is smart enough to figure out how to do this I wanted to share this genius idea of bolting a rear view mirror to the cage of a bobcat.
I would do a YouTube video to show how to do it and the results of it but I think it's pretty obvious from these pictures LOL.
View attachment 6784View attachment 6785View attachment 6782View attachment 6783
before and after lifting the arms LOL
I had mirrors on my 742B that were mounted to the inside of the cage in a similar position but higher. They worked pretty well and I didn't have to fold them in while operating the machine.

I also had a rear view mirror attached to the roof to see out the back window.

laurencen

you are likely not the first to wipe a mirror off the cage, saw one years ago had magnetic mounts and stuck it to the top of the bucket, worked drivung around but first load of gravel they ended up in the pile.

mrbb

they have magnetic ones that can be placed on the boom arms out of the way so not to get crushed when you lift things, but they only work well when the boom is in the same position you do most of your moving in, as in bucket typically down, as once you lift boom, the arms move and your view in mirror can go away!
other flaw is they get dust covered fast

BUT you don't end up crushing them when doing things if you pay attention and they do work and there not that costly, if one wanted to add them to try!
ebay/amazon have tons of different types, round, square rectangle, and concave or not or both!, some even have turn signals in them if you do a lot of work in traffic , they might be handy??
then again back up camera's are pretty cheap these days to add as well!,. HAHA!

food for thought!

laurencen

anyone used the strip convex mirror, saw one last year about 2 2 2 1/2 wide maybe 18 inches long, the width had a slight curve so field was better mounted to the top inside of cab may work OK but not seen one since

mrbb

anyone used the strip convex mirror, saw one last year about 2 2 2 1/2 wide maybe 18 inches long, the width had a slight curve so field was better mounted to the top inside of cab may work OK but not seen one since
a friend of mine has one on a machine he has, not sure where he got it

I DO know some of the review back up camera's have screens like them though, over a basic square screen!
they actually look like a re view mirror from a vehicle like a car/truck!

but the issue many have with skid steers is the small cab's and where the mirror would need to be,, to work well, , like where its in your peripheral vision, (or mounted like like in an auto mobile, or just right in font center of cab
as it is then sort of in the way when getting in and out of the machine, and or when loading things up high, like dump trucks and such!
or I find it is in most machines I have used! Not to mention is it has a over head door on it!

when you stick them on the sides or? inside corners? I find myself not using as much, as you have to make an effort to use them and then not be paying attention to what your doing, or that's maybe just me! but I find there not as useful when not in east direct eye sight!

I imagine one can make work if room allows in your machine,, or maybe use a fold up/down mount to it ,
, to get out of way when getting in out?? , but in my machine there wasn't enough room to do that! I tried too! HAHA!

So when I added a back up camera to my one skid steer, I made it on a magnetic mount, so I can place it where I want when using it, and then move it out of way when needed or not in use!

tebger

I don't usually do this but--- I read this as an insult ("no one smart enough") to hang some mirrors in a spot that doesn't allow you to lift the loader up and down. I actually did something similar years ago but mounted them to the loader arms. My loader is generally down when I'm backing up around plumbing or electrical stub ups while doing slab prep or plowing snow. They are mounted close enough to just be adjustable and need readjusting if I'm working in trees or brush but for the most part work out very well "for me". If I had had my morning coffee before reading this I may not have responded.

mrbb

I was also wondering if anyone had added one of the new 360 birds eye view camera's
I seen a bunch of them, from prices from about a 100 bucks up?
I'm sure the quality isn;'t the best ,
but having the ability to see all 4 corners and around a machine, I think would be pretty nice, over just a back up camera
SO, has anyone tried one of them yet??

and if so, how does it work, do len's get real dust covered fast? or any other issue's!

mikelv

Like most new ideas, it was a great idea. Until... it wasn't. Lol.
I had a similar issue when I added 3rd function to my 1830. I chose a GREAT spot to mount the quick releases. It worked just fine with my swing type hoe attachment. A few couple months later when I got a grapple, I snapped the suckers right off as soon as I opened it all the way. Lesson learned and nobody died.
Thanks for posting, I enjoyed the bit of humor this morning.

Snagdump

Here's a setup on the lift arms that I used for years. The mirrors are adjusted to work with the lift arms mostly down - that's where I do most backing up. The posts are just 1/2" pvc nipples rather than steel so they can break off if they hit something solid. Not a big deal to replace them. The baseplates are drilled/tapped to match up to the pipe flanges. The baseplates are glued onto the lift arms with one of the high performance sikka adhesives as the top of the lift arms are rounded. I'd be lost without the mirrors as I'm usually working at the edge with a fill slope below.

Attachments

• Mirror Mount 1.jpg
    Mirror Mount 1.jpg
    568.2 KB · Views: 36
  • Mirror Mount 2.jpg
    Mirror Mount 2.jpg
    473.2 KB · Views: 32

haymaker

If I was not in the woods squeezing between trees all the time that would probably work well.
I had an old Daewoo that had one mounted in the cab.
I'm going to have to see if that is doable in my S510.
My neck and shoulder are too old and stiff to be turning and craning like I could 30 years ago.

[email protected]

You know after seeing all this I may try an Idea. you know those in car auto sun visors with mirrors. Normally on the passenger side? Mount thatin the cab with the base and you can flip that up or down to get it in position or flip it up to exit the cab. May even add the wire to the light. Just an idea.

laurencen

thats interesting and those are cheap to try, I for one could have used a sun visor a few times as well

haymaker

You know after seeing all this I may try an Idea. you know those in car auto sun visors with mirrors. Normally on the passenger side? Mount thatin the cab with the base and you can flip that up or down to get it in position or flip it up to exit the cab. May even add the wire to the light. Just an idea.
That was much like the set-up in the Daewoo