Bobcat PCV valve...?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

jorswift

Been working on this 873G now and found that the PCV valve is caked with crud. I took it off, but all the paper-like substance was completely shot. How do I know if the PCV is working or not? Also, I cannot locate what the paper-like substance under the cover may be?

brdgbldr

Been working on this 873G now and found that the PCV valve is caked with crud. I took it off, but all the paper-like substance was completely shot. How do I know if the PCV is working or not? Also, I cannot locate what the paper-like substance under the cover may be?
There should not be any paper in a PVC valve. Maybe someone replaced the breather with a paper filter?

There should be a breather on that engine, part number 6666749.

Here is a link to the parts manual:

OP
OP
J

jorswift

There should not be any paper in a PVC valve. Maybe someone replaced the breather with a paper filter?

There should be a breather on that engine, part number 6666749.

Here is a link to the parts manual:

I found the parts diagram. Shows some type of insulation. I have the cover, but no spacer either.

1715097308324.png

brdgbldr

So you are talking about the heat shield. I took a quick look online and I don't think that part is available anymore. The breather cap itself is still available though.

You should be able fabricate something to replace the heat shield. I'm not sure what type of insulation was used but I'm sure you could find something at an automotive store that would work.

OP
OP
J

jorswift

So you are talking about the heat shield. I took a quick look online and I don't think that part is available anymore. The breather cap itself is still available though.

You should be able fabricate something to replace the heat shield. I'm not sure what type of insulation was used but I'm sure you could find something at an automotive store that would work.
How do you know if the PCV valve is functioning properly?

brdgbldr

How do you know if the PCV valve is functioning properly?
I'm not sure about this type of breather valve. A regular PVC you can just shake and all of the parts should rattle freely. A PVC is just a spring and plunger that work from engine vacuum. The plunger should move freely since the spring is not that strong.

These valves are cheap enough that when in doubt I just replace them.