hyro fluid choices.....

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

lad1631

im changing my hydro fluid i see many difr types but is synthetic really a buch of B.s. or what? napa aw 46/5gal/$45 amsoil aw 46/5gal/$130 amsoil claims there oil has a higher thermal range up to 495F does fluid eva get that hot is amsoil really nessary... any sug thanx

Tazza

Staff member
Your fulid should never get over 110C, i don't know the exact figure but your hydraulic temperature sender is set to around the 110C mark and if you hit or exceed it your warning light will show or if you have a BOSS system the machine will just shut down (i think). I agree the extra temperature stuff is BS, no hydraulic system should ever run that hot! 495F is just insane.

Land-Tech

Your fulid should never get over 110C, i don't know the exact figure but your hydraulic temperature sender is set to around the 110C mark and if you hit or exceed it your warning light will show or if you have a BOSS system the machine will just shut down (i think). I agree the extra temperature stuff is BS, no hydraulic system should ever run that hot! 495F is just insane.
Tazza is right about the temps, heat is tough on the hydraulics. The manaul for my 5635 recommends ISO 46 that contains anti-rust,anti-foam, and anti-oxidation additives. They recommend Mobile DTE 15M, or Amoco Rykon 46. I use an Artic grade ISO 32 anti-wear because of the cold weather and it seems fine.When I change fluid I will change back to ISO 46 and see if the system gets quieter this summer.
they recommend "SAE grade motor oil " for the chain cases and I have been using a cheap multi-grade (Costco), again no problems. Also the drain plug for the hydraulic tank is at the bottom of the riser underneath the tank. scott

OP
OP
L

lad1631

Tazza is right about the temps, heat is tough on the hydraulics. The manaul for my 5635 recommends ISO 46 that contains anti-rust,anti-foam, and anti-oxidation additives. They recommend Mobile DTE 15M, or Amoco Rykon 46. I use an Artic grade ISO 32 anti-wear because of the cold weather and it seems fine.When I change fluid I will change back to ISO 46 and see if the system gets quieter this summer.
they recommend "SAE grade motor oil " for the chain cases and I have been using a cheap multi-grade (Costco), again no problems. Also the drain plug for the hydraulic tank is at the bottom of the riser underneath the tank. scott
However my local gehl dealership doent not sell this stuff anyware. i went to napa and b ought hydrolic oil there it seams to work fine and the price was good. not alot of places sell the "good stuff".