Bobcat S250 Won't Start

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Mainedog

I'm having an issue with a late model (2006 possibly) Bobcat S250 that won't start. I can't figure out the issue and loading it up to take to the dealer and facing down time with the machine would be a bad thing...so maybe someone can help with a little bit of advice. I was operating the machine when it stalled. I think that the stall was because I was turning it around and didn't have enough throttle. I would not restart though. When I push the start button, it won't even turn over. There is an error light for the glow plugs that comes on. I have checked the glow plug relay by swapping it with other relays and that didn't help. I have tried starting the machine with a booster pack...no success. There is a click from the engine area and a click from the relay under the seat when I try to start it. The machine is low on diesel, but I doubt that is a problem since it won't even turn over. I don't think it is a glow plug issue because the machine had warmed up when it first stalled, so even if the glow plugs were bad, it should have restarted. Any ideas?

bbobcat475

i would use a test like at the solenoid to see if the starter is getting told to start or not. If your start wire has power when you tell it to start its either a bad ground or a bad starter.

bbobcat475

i would use a test like at the solenoid to see if the starter is getting told to start or not. If your start wire has power when you tell it to start its either a bad ground or a bad starter.
also check your alternator and kits fuse in your fuse box. if it blows while you are running the alternator will continue to charge until the next time it is shut off. this will stop charging your battery and eventually will run your battery down to nothing.

Tazza

Staff member
also check your alternator and kits fuse in your fuse box. if it blows while you are running the alternator will continue to charge until the next time it is shut off. this will stop charging your battery and eventually will run your battery down to nothing.
Try jumping the starter. Use a screw driver or small jumper cable from the +ve terminal on the starter to the smaller pin on the solenoid on the starter with a wire coming off it. Make sure it cranks, if it doesn't, it sounds like you may have a problem with the starter solenoid.
It still doesn't explain the glow plug error though.... But it helps eliminate the starter.

biggie

It could be just the batt. shorting out,check ALL OF THE GROUND WIRE CONECTIONS. Bad grounds are easy to miss. Clean'em. The controllers /computer,have to have them.

teck6

Does unit give u a service code? press and hold headlight button to get codes.. Possible alternator not charging.